Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Living a life that is rooted


Whoa! Life has been crazy over the last few months and I have realized just how easy it is to get so caught up in the things that are going on in life and forget the call to be rooted in Christ. Everyday is a challenge to stop and ask is this a life that is rooted in the one who came to spread the good news, to free the oppressed, to heal the sick, to comfort the mourning, and to give the gift of life?

It is easy to throw around the love I have gained for the people of Appalachia, it is easy to show pictures of myself building a house, but it is hard to look back at the struggles I have had over the last couple of months. For a week I didn't eat and I slept more than I was awake...why? Because I'm growing up and it is scary. But the good news is that all things are overcome through Christ. I have people who love me and people who I love that reach out to me and keep me going time and time again. The realization I made this week is that not only are those whom I love dearly reaching out to me, I am often times like Bartimaeus who sits on the corner and calls out to Christ. Thankfully I serve a God who stops, calls me where I am, and leads me along the road time and time again.

The commitment to live a life rooted in Christ is not an easy one, I don't expect it to be, but it provides a deep joy and desire to press on toward the prize to which we are called and that I hope to do in humility but at the same time with a sense of pride.

Living a life rooted in Christ is what drives me to go to Appalachia and meet AWESOME people, to go back and build a house, to clean up shingles and a roof, to love those others call "hillbilly's" to love those others write off as "good for nothing and lazy, poor, cousin loving, and red necks" and to love them for who they are. They are children of God just like I am, they are made in the image of God and I am to love them with the love of Christ. I have learned so much from Appalachia and my heart is there in those mountains, safe and secure in those mountains at that.

Being rooted in Christ is a long hard road, but the good news in my life is that through it all these roots have grown, I am rooted in a deep soil that provides me with just enough to get through the day showing the love of Christ to anyone and everyone I can. Because of these roots I can say that I am overflowing in thanksgiving. In 23 days I move into an apartment with my best friend, in a month I go to Atlanta for a preaching camp, in 24 days my sophomore year will be complete, and the only thing I can do is sit here and praise God for watering the soil and keeping me going.

I pray that my roots continue to grow and that I continue to reach up, longing to breathe in God's word, ready to go out in service to brothers and sisters around me and around the world.

As a good friend always reminds me,

God is good, all the time. All the time, God is good.


May your roots grow deeper in the love of Christ, may your love of others be rooted in the love of Christ, and may the world around you be the recipients of God's amazing love, mercy, and grace.
Be rooted, be strengthened, overflow with thanksgiving and share with those around you!

Peace,

KP

No comments:

Post a Comment