Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Princeton Theological Seminary Trip-Blog 3 (part 1)


Day 3...better known as day of the Blizzard!
We both got up before our alarms (the one day we had to sleep in...dang it!)...had a cup of tea and went around taking pictures of the snow covered campus that was beautiful!
This afternoon we went to chapel, which was very laid back due to the fact campus is closed for the day. They took hymn requests had a Psalm reading and prayer time. Then we went to lunch, had the opportunity to sit with our host student and a first-year student as well. The conversations were very helpful, we learned a lot about the M. Div. program and how it is structured. The first year was referred to as Presbyterian Boot Camp which made me laugh, and then our host made some really awesome comments about Calvin which made me laugh but I cannot seem to recall what he said :(...but it lead into a pretty interesting discussion on Systematic Theology and Calvin.
Our host and the other student that sat to eat with us were great at answering questions and even just telling why they chose PTS, or what they liked/don't like about it.
Now we are sitting in Rosa's room, watching the snow come down out of the window (we are in a blizzard warning until midnight). I sit here thinking about worship this morning and a favorite hymn (for many people) that we sang, and the person who requested it was asked why he chose it...his response was simple...because it is my prayer this day and everyday.

Be Thou My Vision

Be Thou my Vision, O Lord of my heart;
Naught be all else to me, save that Thou art.
Thou my best Thought, by day or by night,
Waking or sleeping, Thy presence my light.

Be Thou my Wisdom, and Thou my true Word;
I ever with Thee and Thou with me, Lord;
Thou my great Father, I Thy true son;
Thou in me dwelling, and I with Thee one.

Riches I heed not, nor man’s empty praise,
Thou mine Inheritance, now and always:
Thou and Thou only, first in my heart,
High King of Heaven, my Treasure Thou art.

To think of this old hymn, the words, so soft when they are sung, but so powerful when we use them as a prayer. These three verses are three separate prayers (Be my vision, be my wisdom, may it be you alone that I seek) joined in one (Lord guide my every move so that I may not look for anything but you in all that I do). When we allow God to be our vision our eyes open (just like the story of the walk to Emmaus), when we seek the wisdom of God our minds are renewed, and when we seek after God with all of our hearts (Jeremiah 29:13) we find God. We find that God does have plans for us to prosper, plans for a future with hope. When we seek God, we do not seek man's praise but we remember the God who created and sustains us in all that we do. Thanks be to that God for an awesome week so far (and we've just begun).

After our session tonight there will be another post.
Until then,
May you continue to grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ! (2 Peter 3:18)

KP & RN

No comments:

Post a Comment