Monday, December 6, 2010

Advent Second Monday 12/6


I delight to do your will, O my God; your law is within my heart.
Psalm 40:8

I've noticed something the past couple of weeks, and that is this emphasis on peace from within, the law being within, and how these ideas are not just words on a page.  Rather these ideas are internalized by us as believers.

Before I looked at todays lectionary I was talking about this deep love of scripture that I have, and it is not a love from the surface.  It is not that I read scripture and feel all warm and fuzzy.  It is that when I am having a rough day, or week I catch myself not only quoting scripture in the things I say but I live scripture in the way that I place my trust in God and believe the words of scripture.  The law and the word of God are within my heart and because of that I delight to do the will of God.  

This internalizing of scripture, of peace, of hope, of joy, of love, of life, and of light makes us (well makes me at least) not only long for these things but I want to do everything in my power to be these in the world.  When we love and internalize scripture we begin to live the scriptures.  

I challenge you to not just memorize scripture so you can spout it off at the next person who challenges you, but I challenge you to internalize and live these scriptures that are a gift to us from God.  When you do, no one will be able to challenge you because you are exemplifying the fruits of the spirit and you are exemplifying Christ in the world around us.  God has given us this text and this law not to condemn us, only Christ can condemn us and Christ came for us, Christ died for us, Christ rose from the grave for us, and Christ will come again for us...We have this law so that we may live and delight in doing the will of God in the here and the now.  


I delight to do your will, O my God; your law is within my heart.
Psalm 40:8

Peace be within you,
KP

No comments:

Post a Comment