Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Advent Second Tuesday 12/7


 Let me hear what God the LORD will speak, for he will speak peace to his people, to his faithful, to those who turn to him in their hearts. Surely his salvation is at hand for those who fear him, that his glory may dwell in our land.Steadfast love and faithfulness will meet; righteousness and peace will kiss each other. Faithfulness will spring up from the ground, and righteousness will look down from the sky. The LORD will give what is good, and our land will yield its increase. Righteousness will go before him, and will make a path for his steps.
Psalm 85:8-13

I have been looking forward to the time I spend blogging each night.  Tonight I was especially looking forward to this time (probably because I knew it would be a break from studying Greek and writing a paper on psychoanalytic theory) where I stop and retreat to my room to read scripture (to read it out loud) and to reflect on it and write some thoughts. 
I realize that the passages I have pulled out recently have mostly if not all been about hope and peace but I guess that is where my mind is right now.  And I think it is worth pointing out that peace is mentioned more than we think in scripture. Besides it is Advent after all.

So with that being said, as I was reading through the 85th Psalm I noticed that it is translated (oh how I cannot wait to learn Greek and Hebrew...and people think I'm a nerd now, just wait) that these thing will happen.  God will speak peace to God's people, love and faithfulness will meet, and righteousness and peace will kiss each other. The LORD will give what is good.  

So I started thinking, what if (crazy idea)...what if God is speaking peace to God's people?  What if love and faithfulness are meeting? What if righteousness and peace are kissing each other? What if the LORD is giving what is good?  Are we really looking for these thing or are we too caught up in the days political maneuvers, the darkness of a troubled world, and the problems in our own life to even think that God could possibly be doing these things?  

We humans are not the best listeners in the world...so I am going to spend the next few weeks listening, looking for, observing, and trusting that God is at work doing a new thing in our midst...that God is speaking peace, that love, faithfulness, righteousness, and peace are being achieved in our world.  It is worth hoping for, it is worth looking for.  What would the world look like if we were looking for and making these things happen?  

In Advent it is easy to get the warm and fuzzy Christmas feeling...what is difficult is looking the world in the eyes and saying that darkness does not overcome it because Christ came to bring life and light, and that life and light are still alive and burning today.  

Peace be within you,
KP

Caption: The picture is of my Chrismon tree...Living out on your own has its perks...like being able to decorate your tree however you want!! :-D

No comments:

Post a Comment