Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Advent Second Wednesday 12/8


  His delight is not in the strength of the horse,
nor his pleasure in the speed of a runner;
 but the Lord takes pleasure in those who fear him,
  in those who hope in his steadfast love.
Psalm 147:10-11

As this day has come to a close (it has been a long freaking day...and week for that matter)...I have come to realize just how much stuff I have to do.  10-12 pages of essays, 10-12 page paper on Roman Basilicas, Greek quiz, Greek final, Roman History Final, Personality Theory Final, and approximately 19 more hours of work in the next 9 days.  I haven't hit the panic button yet, I've been close, but this happens every semester.  We get to finals week and we feel so overwhelmed like the world is going to end (though this one has its own emotional struggles along side the academic stress) and then we get to the end of finals and somehow everything is complete and the semester went down without any major problems.  

So today I was riding to the house after a Chapel Community Christmas party and a game of Apples to Apples, and I had a text message asking me to babysit on Saturday.  I'm a college student and usually...usually...when I have an opportunity to make a few extra bucks I take it without asking many questions.  But Saturday is my Sabbath.  Not only do I have all the work above that I would really enjoy getting off my plate on Saturday but here I have this opportunity  to make a little extra cash...and then I thought to myself...wait Saturday is Sabbath...

 And so a slight connection to todays lectionary when I read through and saw the LORD does not delight in the speed of a runner, but in those who fear the LORD and hope in the LORD's steadfast love.  

Just a small reminder that the LORD does not delight in the speed of the runner or the strength of a horse, we all need our rest.  We all need to rest and hope in the steadfast love of the LORD...

As hard as it may be for me to not work on my schoolwork or as hard as it is for me to not take the babysitting job this weekend.  I know I need the Sabbath, I am thankful that I am learning to observe the Sabbath and keep it holy...I do not have it perfected by any means, but I do hope in the steadfast love of the LORD and that love is worth resting in.  
Abraham Joshua Heschel said  "The seventh day is the armistice in man's cruel struggle for existence, a truce in all conflicts, personal and social, peace between man and man, man and nature, peace within man."

My brain is on so many tangents today...this semester can't end any sooner...

Peace be within you,
KP

No comments:

Post a Comment