Thursday, December 9, 2010

Advent Second Thursday 12/9

 If there is a favorite moment in the semester it is the day that all papers are turned, all finals are complete, and I can breathe and know that a new semester of learning and growing is on the horizon.  There is nothing like looking back on a semester and knowing that I have spent 4 months learning material and knowing this material will come in handy in the years to come.  

As the fall semester comes to a close we find ourselves at the brink of winter.  We find ourselves at the doorstep of Christmas.  We find ourselves literally in the dark (the sun is never out...well this week has been weird...but for the most part the sun is missing in action).  We find ourselves longing for the warmth to return, for the sun to come out, for the flowers to bloom, the trees to bear fruit, and the world to live again.  

At the end of this semester we are longing for life (away from our books, notes, and papers) and we are longing for light (enough to play games of Whiffle-ball and take late afternoon hikes).  


Is this an interesting parallel to the waiting and longing for Christ?  To me it is.  It shows that no matter where we are in life we are always longing for something and why not long for life and light in this dark and broken world?  As silly as it may seem to long for the end of a semester, to a college student it makes perfect sense.  And as a college student reflecting on it, I can say that the end of the semester marks the beginning of a new one...a new chance to learn, a new chance to grow, a new chance to long for life and light.  I look forward to spring games of Whiffle-ball and the sun, and the trees, and the birds, but I am thankful for the small reminders that the Saviors birth is around the corner.  The reminders that Christ did come to bring light and life, that in Christ we hope, in Christ we live.  

What from the lectionary brought me to think about this?

For the mystery of lawlessness is
already at work, but only until the one who now restrains it is
 removed. And then the lawless one will be revealed, whom the Lord
Jesus will destroy with the breath of his mouth, annihilating him by
the manifestation of his coming.

2 Thessalonians 2:7-8

While studying for my Greek final today I learned the word for lawlessness, anomia, h

And so me being the nerd I am pulled out my  Bible on ipod app and decided to check and see if I were right...and lo and behold I have learned something this semester that will be useful in the future (of course this is one of many examples).  Yay for totally weird and awesome brain tangents!

Peace be within you as you long for life and light!

KP


Caption: The picture is a mask of John Calvin over a bust of President Abraham Lincoln...two of my favorite people to study about...This sits on my desk at work!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment