Friday, December 17, 2010

Advent Third Friday 12/17

My initial goal of blogging everyday during Advent by reflecting on the daily lectionary wasn't met.  I had a feeling that once finals week hit this would happen.  At first I was disappointed, but when I reflect on this week I feel nothing but relief that I was able to finish strong on a long semester.  I would have been disappointed had I stopped reading the lectionary, but I just couldn't find the time or energy to write each night after taking finals/writing papers.  

During this week of finals I was constantly being reminded that the grades I get from this semester do not define who I am and that is a great thing to be reminded of.  When you spend hours upon hours preparing for one exam, writing one paper, finishing that last essay, deciding what energy to spend where, you feel stretched and tired.  Then you take the exam and turn in the paper and often times hope for the best.  

And so each evening when I would put aside the studying and dive into the scriptures of the day, I would find joy, I would find some hard texts, I would find hope, and I would remember how much I love scripture.  

A few weeks ago we had a student led worship service about mountaintop and valley experiences, our conclusion was that no matter where we are we have to just keep walking...from mountain to valley, from valley to mountain, and sometimes from valley to valley or mountain to mountain.  I read about how I found the mountains in the midst of valleys and these were the words I spoke, 

Life growing up was one big valley but the word of God became a mountain and oasis from the world. Gods love never fails. Gods  love reaches into the brokenness and grabs a hold of our hand to put us on our feet again. Gods word is Gods love poured out for us on paper and it is hope. It is wholeness. It is and it always will be.

And so in today's lectionary text I cam across Psalm 16, 


Psalm 16

Protect me, O God, for in you I take refuge.
I say to the LORD, "You are my Lord;
I have no good apart from you."
As for the holy ones in the land, they are the noble,
in whom is all my delight.

Those who choose another god multiply their sorrows;
their drink offerings of blood I will not pour out
or take their names upon my lips.

The LORD is my chosen portion and my cup;
you hold my lot.
The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places;
I have a goodly heritage.

I bless the LORD who gives me counsel;
in the night also my heart instructs me.
I keep the LORD always before me;
because he is at my right hand, I shall not be moved.

Therefore my heart is glad, and my soul rejoices;
my body also rests secure.
For you do not give me up to Sheol,
or let your faithful one see the Pit.

You show me the path of life.
In your presence there is fullness of joy;
in your right hand are pleasures forevermore.

As we approach this last week before Christmas may we not get caught up in the noise and busyness of the advent conspiracy, but may we take the time to spend in scriptures (even if they are those ones we would like to throw out from time to time) and may we live in the love of God, proclaiming the good news of great joy for all people.  

Peace be within you,

KP

No comments:

Post a Comment